Table of Contents
Interested in selling on SBL? Welcome!
This guide helps you through the first steps of opening your shop, shares tips on how to get a strong start, and provides resources for further guidance along the way.
SBL is a unique marketplace for independent local sellers around the world were they can sell physical products, digital products, services, events. On shopbylocals.com, you’ll find a community of makers, small-business owners, and shoppers who all share a passion for uncommon and rare goods.
If you’re new to SBL, take some time to get to know us. see more on the about page. And sign up to be a seller here SIGN UP LINK
Before you create your shop, sign in or create an SBL account. You’ll use this account to run your shop and to buy from other makers on SBL. After creating your account, add your profile picture and bio to let other people in the SBL community know who you are.
To open your SBL shop:
- Click My Account at the top right of shopbylocals.com.
- Click Register as a shop.
- Fill out the form click Register.
Do I need a business license to sell on SBL?
SBL do require a sellers to have a business license to sell on SBL.
When selling on SBL you’re required to follow any laws that apply to you as a small business selling online. If you have any questions regarding which laws apply to you, please contact a qualified professional.
Once you’ve signed up to sell on SBL, there are a few steps you need to take to complete your shop setup and prepare to start selling items. Like any online business, you should think through key factors in your selling workflow. Consider things like production time, policies, and your plan for shipping.
Key shop elements to address:
- Banner and Shop Logo: Upload clear photos that represent the style of your brand and make a strong first impression on shoppers.
- Shop Announcement: Share a brief welcome message with shoppers.
- About Section: Upload videos or photos and share the story behind your products, how your business came to be, and what your vision is for your brand.
- Shop Members: Introduce any other members of your team or people you collaborate with.
- Shop Policies: Outline all your policies for shipping, returns, exchanges, payments, custom items, or any other guidelines that are important for shoppers to know before they make a purchase.
Once you’ve completed all your shop sections, you are ready to start adding products to your SBL shop. When you add a product to your SBL shop, we call this a listing. Learn how to list an item.
A marketing strategy is key to the success of your SBL shop. Marketing will help new customers find your products, lets you existing customers up to date with the latest with your shop, and can lead to an overall rise in sales.
Tips for getting started with marketing:
- Make sure you’re optimizing your shop for SBL search. Make sure to add your location so that your shop can be found in local searches.
- Link your shop to your social media accounts so you can easily craft posts about your business.
- Consider marketing your shop through paid advertising.
- Consider offering discounts to incentivize shoppers to buy with sales and coupons.
- Join the SBL community and teams where you can network with sellers and shoppers.
After you’ve listed your items in your shop, there are other factors to manage as your business develops and grows.
Tips for managing your shop:
- Make sure you follow customer service best practices so you’re qualified for SBL’s Seller Protection Policy.
- Learn what to do when you make your first sale.
- Take a break from your shop when needed.
COMING SOON: Explore our Beginner’s Guides and the Seller Handbook to help you get started on SBL.
There’s a ton of great tips in the SBL Seller Handbook, and our Ultimate Guide to Starting a shop @ShopByLocals is a great place to begin.
You can also connect with other sellers in the SBL Community.